Natural additives for efficient aquaculture farming
A steadily growing sector
Aquaculture is the fastest developing animal production worldwide. This growth is driven by an increasing demand for nutritious proteins and for healthy fatty acid sources. And for some years now, aquaculture production has been exceeding that of fishing (FAO, 2018).
A development facing
This development goes with challenges linked to environmental sustainability, animal welfare and the necessary profitability of this domesticated production.
Aquaculture has a direct impact on farms environment as fish and shrimp consume feeds and release ammonia and feces in the surrounding water. Thus, a better feed utilization is critical to mitigate the impact. To address this issue, Nor-Feed has developed efficient and 100% natural additives for aquaculture species.
- Norponin® Opti is designed to contribute to reduce ammonia production and its concentration in water.
- Nor-Spice AB® improves the feed efficacy of fishes and shrimps.
- Durelax® is made of Melissa officinalis extracts and soluble magnesium, both compounds acting synergistically to calm animals naturally.
Precise nutrition is vital for
Pathogenic bacteria, viruses and parasites can be responsible for slow growth, end-product downgrading or massive death, representing major losses. Whereas the use of antibiotics, coccidiostats, insecticides and other synthetic drugs has been a common approach over the last decades, natural feed additives can be efficient alternatives to help aquatic animal face these pathogens. The Nor-Feed range includes different solutions that can be used in this perspective:
- Nor-Grape® 80 is a natural product standardized in specific polyphenols which compensate the oxidative stress caused by health challenges amongst other causes.
- Norponin®XO contributes to coccidial risk management in shrimp and fish farm.